Lead the development of effective, innovative, and profitable software solutions using state-of-the-art technologies.
Principal Software Engineer,
- Lead team in developing and adopting effective code review processes.
- Perform daily code reviews, frequently providing written tips for improving code.
- Present trainings on assorted technologies.
- Lead team in effective Git branching strategies.
- Mentor junior/senior engineers.
- Author team's dev setup guide.
- Develop unifying common library in support of multiple projects.
- Port legacy web services to Java.
- Develop Java client libraries for selected web services.
- Maintain/stabilize essential global property storage service.
- Interview new manager candidates.
CA Agile Central
Nov. 2014-Oct. 2018
Principal Software Engineer, Tech Lead,
- Lead development of tenant/user profile unification service for unifying profiles across segmented product line.
- Port flagship product to Java 8.
- Port flagship product to Wildfly application server.
- Overhaul configuration framework in flagship product.
- Invent procedure entry/exit logging framework with graphical visualizer for post-mortem debugging.
- Manage application deployment processes for complex, high-cardinality lane configuration.
- Maintain proxy sign-in service for customer support.
- Troubleshoot and repair complex bugs in flagship product.
- Design and build application gateway.
- Drive synergy between Dev and QA to improve knowledge transfer and testing effectiveness.
- Discover and proactively log numerous bugs outside assigned area concern.
- Promote sane unit testing practices.
- Maintain search indexer service.
Mar. 2007-Nov. 2014
Senior Software Engineer,
Corp. Of The Presiding Bishop
Manage employee performance:
- Conduct monthly 1-on-1s.
- Administer biannual performance reviews.
- Promote employee growth through relevant challenges and feedback.
- Address specific performance concerns through compassionate but direct intervention.
- Interview prospective employees and make hiring decisions.
Lead teams developing enterprise software solutions for the church's missionary program, using Java and .NET technologies:
Architect and lead development of application to generate dynamic, individualized information booklets in multiple languages.
- System mass-generates thousands of documents per week as part of an essential business process.
- Complex documents are automatically assembled from 5 different media types on industrial printers.
- System includes content editor and configurable rules engine to support constantly shifting business requirements.
- System incorporates versatile, semi-automatic translation learning processes.
- Manage development team building the application used by church leaders to make and record missionary assignments.
- Organize and coordinate the emergency efforts of several product teams to address a sudden and dramatic change in missionary funding policies.
In general, routinely:
- Architect effective solutions for complex problems.
- Establish clarity from ambiguous requirements and build team consensus.
- Manage teams using agile methodologies.
- Develop, formalize, document, and promote team standards, processes, etc.
- Build relationships of trust with the customer.
- Plan and estimate projects.
- Provide timely and effective customer support.
- Develop web portal for missionary force, automatically customizing content based on user role and status.
- Develop Facebook/Twitter module for uploading personalized photo badges.
- Develop Android-based personal organizer software for missionaries.
- Maintain statistics reporting system based on InfoPath web forms hosted in a SharePoint environment.
Facebook Graph API
OAuth 1 & 2
Additional employment history is available.
M.S. Computer Science,
Brigham Young University
B.S. Computer Science,
Brigham Young University
- Minor in Physics.
- Minor in Japanese.
- Minor in Mathematics.
- Magna Cum Laude, GPA 3.91.
- Academic achievement scholarships, full-tuition, yearly, four consecutive years.
- Excellent organizational and problem abstraction skills.
- Project management, team coordination, and dependency management (Scrum, Agile).
- Object-oriented analysis and design.
- Web application development, responsive design.
- Network-level design, programming, and troubleshooting.
- Application of advanced mathematical algorithms.
- Software library and API design, specification, and implementation.
- Concurrency control and multi-threaded design.
- Process development, documentation, and administration.
- Technical writing; clearly communicating complex ideas.
- Linux/Apache server administration and maintenance.
- Database schema design.
- On-the-job assimilation and application of new technologies.
Teaching, mentoring, and training;
development of instructional materials.
- Vector and raster digital imaging processing.
- MediaWiki web site development.
- Fluent conversational Japanese.
- Scored 100% on Sun Certified Programmer for the Java Platform, Standard Edition 5.0.
- Maintains FAA private pilot certificate with SLC airport security clearance; maintains private aircraft.
- Advocated as state activist for National Motorists Association (5 years).
- Volunteered as Boy Scout leader (8 years).
- Published world-acclaimed tutorial reference, Sharky's Netscape Frames Tutorial.
- Invented, sold, and supported Lava, a (once) widely used Java class library.
- Co-authored full length biography Ila Jones Harvey: A Life History.
- Served as vice president of BYU Ballet Club.
- Completed two year, full-time religious mission in Sendai, Japan.
- Earned Eagle rank, Boy Scouts of America.
- Placed third in California state-wide academic competitions for Computer Science and Physics.
- Received Bank of America Computer Science award.
Discover more at CharltonRose.com.
Last updated 2019.02.11.