Lead the development of effective, innovative, and profitable software solutions using state-of-the-art technologies.
Principal Software Engineer,
- Maintain user profile services.
- Mentor junior engineers.
- Author dev setup guide.
- Teach course on Javadoc system.
CA Agile Central
Nov. 2014-Oct. 2018
Principal Software Engineer, Tech Lead,
- Lead development of tenant/user profile unification service for unifying profiles across segmented product line.
- Port flagship product to Java 8.
- Port flagship product to Wildfly application server.
- Overhaul configuration framework in flagship product.
- Invent procedure entry/exit logging framework with graphical visualizer for post-mortem debugging.
- Manage application deployment processes for complex, high-cardinality lane configuration.
- Maintain proxy sign-in service for customer support.
- Troubleshoot and repair complex bugs in flagship product.
- Design and build application gateway.
- Drive synergy between Dev and QA to improve knowledge transfer and testing effectiveness.
- Discover and proactively log numerous bugs outside assigned area concern.
- Promote sane unit testing practices.
- Maintain search indexer service.
Mar. 2007-Nov. 2014
Senior Software Engineer,
Corp. Of The Presiding Bishop
Manage employee performance:
- Conduct monthly 1-on-1s.
- Administer biannual performance reviews.
- Promote employee growth through relevant challenges and feedback.
- Address specific performance concerns through compassionate but direct intervention.
- Interview prospective employees and make hiring decisions.
Lead teams developing enterprise software solutions for the church's missionary program, using Java and .NET technologies:
Architect and lead development of application to generate dynamic, individualized information booklets in multiple languages.
- System mass-generates thousands of documents per week as part of an essential business process.
- Complex documents are automatically assembled from 5 different media types on industrial printers.
- System includes content editor and configurable rules engine to support constantly shifting business requirements.
- System incorporates versatile, semi-automatic translation learning processes.
- Manage development team building the application used by church leaders to make and record missionary assignments.
- Organize and coordinate the emergency efforts of several product teams to address a sudden and dramatic change in missionary funding policies.
In general, routinely:
- Architect effective solutions for complex problems.
- Establish clarity from ambiguous requirements and build team consensus.
- Manage teams using agile methodologies.
- Develop, formalize, document, and promote team standards, processes, etc.
- Build relationships of trust with the customer.
- Plan and estimate projects.
- Provide timely and effective customer support.
- Develop web portal for missionary force, automatically customizing content based on user role and status.
- Develop Facebook/Twitter module for uploading personalized photo badges.
- Develop Android-based personal organizer software for missionaries.
- Maintain statistics reporting system based on InfoPath web forms hosted in a SharePoint environment.
Facebook Graph API
OAuth 1 & 2
Sep. 2002-Mar. 2007
Software Project Lead,
Daifuku America Corp.
(Salt Lake City, Utah).
- Manage software projects for warehouse automation systems.
- Develop web-based interface to replace existing, thick-client warehouse management software, for operation on mobile scanning units.
- Teach weekly training classes on Java, OOP, and development methodologies.
- Develop, promote, and manage cost-saving build processes.
- Design and implement vector graphics library for rendering transformable equipment layouts with real-time status indicators.
- Facilitate technology exchange with Japanese partner companies.
- Travel frequently to customer sites and maintain positive customer relations.
May 2000-Jun. 2003
Lead Software Engineer,
Smart Input, Inc.
Develop embedded software for the AlphaSmart 3000 portable laptop word processor, including:
- proprietary thesaurus compression and query engine
- document outlining and navigation tools
- customized form builder and data-gatherer for industry-specific applications
- Direct development team.
- Develop and maintained in-house APIs for accelerated product development.
- Monitor product documentation for technical accuracy.
- Implement web-based purchasing and affiliate referral system.
- Master multi-platform installation CDs.
Microsoft Visual Studio
Feb. 1999-Mar. 2000
Develop, test, and debug software products, including:
- medical database and search engine interfaces
- MedEcho ultrasound transmission software
- Write executive summaries for corporate business plans.
- Evaluate third-party technologies for integration into company projects.
- Provide technical consultations for company executives.
- Complete two post-employment contracts.
Red Hat Linux
Additional employment history is available.
M.S. Computer Science,
Brigham Young University
B.S. Computer Science,
Brigham Young University
- Minor in Physics.
- Minor in Japanese.
- Minor in Mathematics.
- Magna Cum Laude, GPA 3.91.
- Academic achievement scholarships, full-tuition, yearly, four consecutive years.
- Excellent organizational and problem abstraction skills.
- Project management, team coordination, and dependency management (Scrum, Agile).
- Object-oriented analysis and design.
- Web application development, responsive design.
- Network-level design, programming, and troubleshooting.
- Application of advanced mathematical algorithms.
- Software library and API design, specification, and implementation.
- Concurrency control and multi-threaded design.
- Process development, documentation, and administration.
- Technical writing; clearly communicating complex ideas.
- Linux/Apache server administration and maintenance.
- Database schema design.
- On-the-job assimilation and application of new technologies.
Teaching, mentoring, and training;
development of instructional materials.
- Vector and raster digital imaging processing.
- MediaWiki web site development.
- Fluent conversational Japanese.
- Scored 100% on Sun Certified Programmer for the Java Platform, Standard Edition 5.0.
- Maintains FAA private pilot certificate with SLC airport security clearance; maintains private aircraft.
- Advocated as state activist for National Motorists Association (5 years).
- Volunteered as Boy Scout leader (8 years).
- Published world-acclaimed tutorial reference, Sharky's Netscape Frames Tutorial.
- Invented, sold, and supported Lava, a (once) widely used Java class library.
- Co-authored full length biography Ila Jones Harvey: A Life History.
- Served as vice president of BYU Ballet Club.
- Completed two year, full-time religious mission in Sendai, Japan.
- Earned Eagle rank, Boy Scouts of America.
- Placed third in California state-wide academic competitions for Computer Science and Physics.
- Received Bank of America Computer Science award.
Discover more at CharltonRose.com.
Last updated 2018.10.14.